Thursday, April 13, 2017

Laughing with President Uchtdorf, and
chatting in the "Celestial German language"
 Last Thursday was one of the most joyful experiences of my mission. When we traveled from Frankfurt to Friedrichsdorf there were probably about 60 missionaries all on the same train. We all got off and walked through Friedrichsdorf together towards the temple. I got to see so many friends and almost all of my companions. Then we got to the chapel and I got to see some members from Kaiserslautern! They couldn't believe that 6 months later I was still in the same stake. Then President Uchtdorf came in and we all sang Sehet, ihr Völker (Behold, A Royal Army). We heard testimonies from President Stoddard (my mission President), the daughter of Uchtdorf, and then Harriet Uchtdorf (his wife). Then he spoke to us for the rest of the time. He told us that we needed to develop a Gemeinschaft (community) based upon love, charity, and service. He compared it to a Heavenly community and prophesied that when we develop this the missionary work in Germany will take off. He had a lot of questions about when the Frankfurt temple will re-open and he couldn't tell us. However, he made the point that we should be preparing ourselves constantly to be able to enter the temple. We should be preparing ourselves individually, as a family, and as a community to partake of the temple blessings. He's amazing.
Beautiful building in Frankfurt
We had zone training the next day and we had interviews with President Stoddard. He asked me how I had come closer to my Savior while on my mission. My answer was through scripture study. This week is Holy Week and I've focused all of my studies on what He did during His last week. I also recently studied the booklet Teaching in the Savior's Way. He was the Master Teacher, in word and in example. He stood up for what was right, even in times of extreme adversity. He suffered, was crucified, and arose for mankind so that we can have peace in suffering, hope in adversity, and forgiveness from our sins. He is the Light and the Way to our Father in Heaven. I encourage you all to read the New Testament with Jesus the Christ side by side.
Lovely Frankfurt home
The rest of our week was pretty adventurous. Yesterday we took a train to Lampertheim and then to Neckarau and went by all of the less-actives in both of those areas. It was a TON of walking though. Also on Monday night we felt like we should go contacting in the evening time and we met 2 students (a guy and a girl) and in the middle of our conversation a drunk guy came up to us saying some weird stuff about his boyfriend being in my iPad. The guy student just said "Oh, I see." And the drunk guy walked away saying "I'm glad someone understands me!" The 4 of us just died laughing and it totally broke the ice to have a really awesome conversation. They're both Muslim, but felt like they wanted to explore Christianity and asked when they could come to church! So, we're picking them up on Sunday and we'll take the bus together! Unfortunately, I don't remember their names because one is like Abahlada and the other is Adalhaba. However, we're all BFF's because of the drunk guy! Thanks, drunk guy!

Transfer calls are this Saturday again. Time is flying by way too quickly! I guess that's what happens when you're having fun.

Frohe Ostern (Happy Easter)! 🐣
- Sister Luymes

Reunion w/ Sis Catherall (my MTC companion)

Reunion with Sister Elowitt from my K-town district.

Sister Harris (last K-town companion)

Sis Lopez being an Uchtdorf creaper!

Crappy picture but I got to see the Frankfurt Temple at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment