Thursday, February 23, 2017

Fasching/ Karneval before Lent
BTW - on a ferris wheel
Today is the beginning of Fasching/ Karneval. It's the one holiday where the Elders might actually be in more danger than the sisters! There's a tradition where woman can go up to a guy who has a tie and she cuts it with scissors and kisses him. The Elders have planned to wear their biggest scarves so their ties are covered. In some cities people dress up in costumes or in fancy clothes with masks, but Mannheim is not that into it. There will be a parade though and today we're going to the actual Karneval part! The party started today and will go until Tuesday and life will be normal on  Aschermittwoch (Ash Wednesday). Of course, there will be a lot of Betrunkene (drunk people) so the sisters must be careful too. JA WOHL!

As for the rest of the week we are still finding a lot. We had zone conference and I got to see Sister Harris again! The conference was focused on teaching the Restoration. It was really good and we even had a sister breakout. So, we got an hour to meet just as sisters. It was fun and people had some fantastic insights.


Conference break out session for my sista's.
We might get crazy any minute now.

In 2 days is my 9-month mark. Ich bin halb fertig (I’m half finished)!? I can't believe how fast it's all gone! Honestly this has been a huge challenge. Luckily, I'm a person who finds joy in a good challenge. I've experienced pure joy doing this work. I wish I could share everything that I've learned and how much I've grown. However, the most important thing I've learned are the 2 greatest commandments- "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

I hope you all have a good rest of the week!

Liebe Grüße
Sister Luymes
Martin Luther -- not to be confused with Martin Luther King.



Big Pom -- always wanted to try it.

Pommes Frittes anyone?

Fun at the Karneval



No comments:

Post a Comment